Resume of Matt Simerson
- Unix System Engineering - Design and build computing systems
- Unix System Administration - *BSD, MacOS X, Linux, and Irix
- Extensive experience with TCP/IP networking and services
- Intimate familiarity with the following services/protocols: DNS, Mail, WWW, SNMP, SQL
- Maintaining servers in ISP, hosting, educational, and corporate environments
- Extensive experience with high availability server environments (data centers)
- Experienced using Perl, C, shell, PHP, and AppleScript
Spry.com, Seattle, WA
Software Development Manager - 2008 - 2010
- Scaled database servers used by core systems (billing, bandwidth, support tickets)
- Built a 50TB backup system to efficiently back up thousands of virtual private servers (VPS)
- Designed and wrote Provision::Unix, to deploy and manage VPSes
- Built new admin and user control panels, for managing VPS instances and infrastructure using several virtualization engines
- Designed and wrote maitred, the codification of Spry's business logic and processes. Maitred is the workflow manager, task scheduler, and resource arbiter that interfaces with our many internal tools, automating the life cycle of a VPS.
Layered Technologies, Plano, TX
Unix Automation Developer - 2007-2008
- Scale DNS systems to support 12k dedicated servers
- Develop High Availability for corp web site and critical infrastructure
- Develop cPanel license management application
- Secure legacy compute systems
- Developed a server deployment and detection system using IPMI
- Upgrade and harvest BMC data from HP servers
The Network People, Inc,
Unix Systems Engineer - April 2003 to
Design, build, and repair UNIX based mail and internet servers for organizations around the world.
Interland (formerly HostPro and Lightrealm),
Atlanta, GA (Seattle, WA)
Unix Systems Engineer - June 2000 to April 2003
Design and build Unix based internet servers including media streaming servers, highly scalable (hundreds of thousands of users) virtual mail server, enterprise class DNS management system, MySQL database clusters, programs and scripts to manage all of the above. I was also responsible for 3rd level support of all the systems I designed, as well as providing training materials and classes for Systems Administrator teams and technical support staff. Resigned to pursue other interests.
MichWeb Inc, Cadillac, MI
President - June 95 to April 2000
As founder, I took the business from an idea to a thriving small business (ISP) in rural Northern Michigan. I dreamed the dream, wrote the business plan, raised the capital, and provided the and day to day management. As the Systems Administrator, I oversaw the installation of all computer and network equipment and designed our high availability fault tolerant network.
We achieved positive cash flow our first year, gained a dominant position in our market within two, and expanded into new markets. After four years we completed our exit strategy by selling the business. Every shareholder got a 100% annualized return on their investment. Employees got 6 month severance checks and jobs with the new company. Everybody won.
The Art Farm,
System Administrator - Oct 96 to present
The Art Farm is a design and illustration firm. My duties include Systems Administration for the office systems as well as installing, developing, and maintaining custom web applications on the internet server.
Kysor/Cadillac, Cadillac, MI
Assistant Engineer July 91 - Feb 96
I started in the print room and worked up to Assistant Engineer. I handled cost estimates, prototype fan assembly and delivery, and AutoCad drawings for the fan group. I used AutoCad and Pro Engineer to create solid models and prototype parts for testing. I created and maintained data storage and retrieval systems for various departments to utilize engineering data. Resigned to begin working full-time at MichWeb, Inc.
Dallas Theological Seminary
24 credit hours in Masters of Theology program. (3.6 GPA)
Baker College of Cadillac
Business Management classes. (4.0 GPA)
NorthWestern Michigan College
General classes. (4.0 GPA)
Wex-Miss Career Technical Center
Two year certificate in Mechanical Drafting & CAD. Excellent proficiency in all areas and outstanding attendance awards.
Mesick High School
Graduated. National Honor Society, Chess Club President, Attendance Awards.
References available upon request.